One of the great things about music is there will ALWAYS be more. Students at all levels benefit from private lessons, and honor groups are a great way to connect with high acheiving musical students from other schools and perform in bigger and better venues, under esteemed conductors from around the nation and world. Summer enrichment camps are also a great opportunity to hone your skills and meet kids like you from around the region.
- WIBC - (Concert Band) An international Honor Band with over 600 students and 5 guest conductors! Record an audition in the fall for a placement. You can substitute WIBC autition materials for All-NW / All-State audition materials if you like. WIBC is held each November in the SeaTac Double Tree.
- All-State / All-NW (Band, Choir, Orchestra AND Jazz) - Our official state and regional honor group program. Auditions are in the fall, and the event is held in either Yakima, Spokane, Portland, or Bellevue each President' Day Weekend.
- PLU (Band) - Entry to this honor band program is by teacher recommendation each fall. The event is later in the winter, and begins with placement auditions. PLU's honor programs are held on their campus in South Tacoma, but students are responsible for providing their own housing while there.
- PLU (Jazz) - PLU's honor jazz program is also by recommendation only.
Talk to Mr. Thomas for more information regarding each of these programs and/or to schedule a recording session!
Summer Music Camps
Collegiate Camps (concert band, jazz, drumline, etc...)
- CWU - A variety of summer music camps offered through in Ellensburg
- UMT - A variety of summer music camps offered through The University of Montana, in beautiful Missoula!
- WWU - Western offers summer band camps for both middle school and high school level musicians.
- UW - The University of Washington hosts a drum major and drumline camp in the summer.
- Common Arts Music and Leadership Academy - Hosted by some fine musicians and leaders out at Fort Casey.
Full Symphony Camps
- Seattle Rock Orchestra Summer Intensive is a camp run by the hippest orchestra around. Based in Seattle, there's a lot of great people involved in putting this camp together.
- Marrowstone - A BIG orchestra festival held at WWU each July through the Seattle Youth Symphony Organization.
- Icicle Creek Summer Symphony Camp (Strings and Symphony Winds). This is a great orchestra festival held outside Leavenworth each summer. Great coaching, and good performances at the end.
- Lake Samish Music Camp is a full symphony camp (winds and percussion included) up near Bellingham at beautiful Camp Lutherwood.
- Bocal Majority. (Oboe, Bassoon, & Clarinet). Hosted at the University of Idaho.
- Sounds of Summer (Drumline). This is a series of workshops held by Yamaha. There are camps each summer at UofO and CWU.
- Northwest Mallet Camp. (Percussion). Hosted in Tacoma, features a few guest artists.
- Centrum - This is a legit jazz workshop, with big name jazz coaches, held each July in Port Townsend.
- Seattle Cascades - Our local, World Class Drum Corps.
- WA All-Star Marching Band - A summer marching band opportunity.
Summer Leadership Camps
The following contacts are offered here as a courtesy to encourage more students to take private lessons; it does not, however, imply any sort of endorsement or official affiliation between the instructor and the BISD.
- Colleen McElroy | Flute Teacher | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Megan Webster | Flute & Sax Teacher | MeganW@ckschools.org | (206)437-1049
- Mary Lynch | UW Oboe Professor, Principal Oboe Seattle Symphony Orchestra | email@example.com
- Amy Day | Oboe Teacher | firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com | (206) 498-7010, or (206) 498-7010
- Steven Morgan | Bassoon Teacher and professional musician | firstname.lastname@example.org | (206) 351-1091
- Judy Lawrence | Bassoon Teacher | email@example.com
- Ashley Cook | Clarinet Instructor | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dave Carson | Sax and Clarinet Instructor | 360-271-6712 | email@example.com
- Carey Rayburn | Trumpet Instructor at Bainbridge Island Music Guild | (360) 620 3665 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blake Yarbrough | Horn Teacher. Navy Band NW | (972) 567-6240 | email@example.com
- Bud Parker | Trombone, Tuba, Euphonium, and Trumpet Teacher. | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rebecca Schroeder | Violin, Viola, Piano, & Voice Teacher | www.rebeccaschroeder.com | email@example.com
- Michael Mikulka | Music Theory, Ear Training, & Composition Coach (Online) | www.michaelmikulka.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Island Music Guild | Consortium of music teachers near Rolling Bay | http://islandmusic.org/teachers/ | Check here for any instruments not listed above
- BHS Trips to the Seattle Symphony - Check out the tickets page for more information on this cooperative fundraiser and enrichment opportunity!
- BHS Bands Spring Trip! - Each winter, we throw together an ensemble for spring travel. We typically alternate smaller trips with larger trips each year.
- Washington Ambassadors of Music - On even numbered summers, this organization (coordinated through Voyagers International) takes over 200 Washington State band and choir students to Europe for a three week touring and performance extravaganza! It's expensive, but certainly worth looking at. Each odd numbered spring, we will host an informational meeting about the following summer's program.